Pizza with Chilli Infused Oil
• 1kg strong white bread flour
• 1 level tablespoon fine sea salt
• 2 x 7 g sachets of dried yeast
• 1 dessert spoon sugar
• 1 clove of garlic
• 1 bunch of fresh basil
• Olive oil
• 1 x 400 g tin of quality plum tomatoes
• 85 g mozzarella cheese
- Place the flour and sea salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the yeast and sugar to 650ml lukewarm water, mix together and leave for a few minutes, then pour into the flour.
- Mix well, bringing in all the flour until the dough comes together and becomes harder to mix, flour your hands and begin to pat it into a ball.
- Knead the dough by rolling it backwards and forwards, using your hands to stretch, pull and push the dough. Keep kneading for 10 minutes, or until you have a smooth, soft dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel or cling film and leave in a warm place to prove for 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- For the sauce, peel and finely slice the garlic, pick the basil leaves and finely chop any stalks.
- Heat a little chilli oil in a pan on a medium heat, add the garlic and basil stalks and cook gently for a couple of minutes, add most of the basil leaves, the tomatoes, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Leave the sauce to thicken for around 20 minutes, or until smooth.
- Halve the dough and wrap one half in clingfilm and freeze for another day. Divide the remaining dough into 4.
- Flour each ball of dough, cover and leave to rest for about 15 minutes.
- Dust the work surface and the dough with a little flour and roll each out into a rough circle, about ½cm thick.
- Preheat the oven to 250°C.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the base, spreading it out to the edges. Tear over the mozzarella and scatter with the remaining basil leaves. Drizzle with a little Chilli Oil and black pepper.
- Place on tin foil and cook directly on the bars of the oven shelf. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the pizzas are golden and crispy.
Some of our favourite toppings are:
Mozzarella, anchovies, capers and parsley
Pancetta, Parmesan and tomatoes
Prosciutto, artichokes, olives, mozzarella, tomato sauce and basil
Potatoes, mozzarella, rosemary, thyme and tomatoes